Monday, July 16, 2007

Pipestone National Monument








After a morning at Jeffers, we spent the afternoon on the west shore of Minnesota in Pipestone National Monument. Trails through the prairie and woodlands took us to ancient and active quarries where Native Americans mine for the blood red pipestone. This soft rock is easily carved but mining it from the iron hard matrix is hot and miserable work. Quarries flood with water and have to be drained.  Only traditional tools are used to cut into the narrow veins of pipestone.











2 comments:

Pat said...

My name is Pat Brock. I am Lakota/Dakota/Nakota. I am working on a project, "Origin Story of a Quilt - The Sacred Sites Quilt Project" and I would be honored if I could use this picture as the center of my quilt block. How do I get your permission?

Vinnie and Maria said...

Hi Pat, You are welcome to use this photo for your project. We would be happy to send you a copy at full resolution. send an email to: vince_jasinski.at.yahoo.com (replace the .at. with the at symbol)
Maria is a quilter and would like to hear about your quilt project.